Sunday, November 16, 2008

I Am Not a Tumor

A coworker and friend at work was recently diagnosed with a tumor in his spine. I wanted something that could cheer him up, so I decided to make a softie tumor. Perhaps it will be something that he could poke pins into like a voodoo doll.

So here is the creation of my tumor softie:

Step one: Decide on a shape and cut out all the pieces. I kept it simple and chose to make a triangular softie with a circular/ovular bottom. I created the patterns on paper with a compass and ruler. Also cut out the same shapes in an iron-on interfacing.



Step 2: Iron (or baste if you prefer) the interfacing to the fabric.

Step 3: Embroider the face. I added felt ovals for the whites of the eyes and small red buttons for the pupil. Then I embroidered the eyebrow with a full strand of brown embroidery floss. Finally, I added the mouth which I made from white felt and then embroidered the teeth with black floss.





Step 4: Sew on some yarn for the veins. I had a variegated yarn that was red and blue that worked well for that. I used a couching method to attach the yarn.

Step 5: Sew the sides together. Sew the bottom onto the sides, allowing a small opening for the filling.

Step 6: Stuff the tumor to the desired fullness and then stitch the opening. I finished the tumor with a whip stitch so that it would sit a little better. Sorry the picture is a bit blurry.



I also got a great jar at Hobby Lobby and put the tumor in the jar. I used a make-your-own ink jet rub-on decal kit and I labeled the jar with "Biological Sample" and some silly information about the tumor. Unfortunately I gave the tumor to my friend before I got a picture of the completed tumor in the jar.

No comments:

 


Design by: Blogger XML Skins | Distributed by: Blogger Templates